Tuesday 15 December 2009

Production Logo.


I wanted to keep my production logo quite simplistic but still interesting. This image shows a road marking pointing to the wall, implying the road goes nowhere. I like this image and think it looks very dramatic.
My production company name it Hegrgabe Productions, the same as my A2 coursework. I got this title from my own name, as I have worked on my own both years.


For my production logo I wrote HEGRGABE PRODUCTIONS in a sketchy typeface to suggest that it has been carved into the brick of the wall. I also placed these words in front of the arrow on the road so that the eye is drawn to these words.
I wanted the logo to be black and white for the most part, as this effect generally looks more dramatic. However, I did keep some of the blue from the sky coming through behind the wall just to add a bit more interest to the image.

From my research into production logos at the start of films, I found that generally the logo would be animated and accompanied by some music. This can be either a generic sound that is associated with the production company (e.g. Universal and 20th Century Fox both have distinctive music alongside the company logo) or it can change to be linked to the genre of the film (e.g. Hot Fuzz; the production company logos at the start are accompanied by police sirens
to indicate a police related narrative, or Moulin Rouge; the 20th Century Fox logo is shown using the famous Baz Luhrman "red curtains" with a conducter in front of the stage)

Some production company logos (e.g. Summit) are not animated, other than a change in lighting. As I didn't want the audience to linger too long on the logo, I chose to have a simple fade in from black animation, rather than fully animat
e the logo. Although this doesn't require as much technological assistance, I think that it looks effective and establishes a sinister sense of foreboding.

As the sound that accompanies a logo is a key part of the animation, I felt that I should include my own sound effect. To do this I used GarageBand, a programme that is available on Mac computers. It's very simple to use and has a drag and drop option if the user is unable to record their own music.
At the bottom of the screen there are options that can be chosen to search for the desired type of music or sound effect. I selected the options "Dark" and "Intense". It then came up with a list of suitable tracks, and I was able to listen to them and select the one that I wanted. The track I selected was entitled "Pulsing Sweep 1". I chose it because it added to the sinister feel of the logo, and it was short enough to not sound as though it had been clipped to fit the length of the logo animation.


I put the sound and image together using Final Cut, as it offers a quick and easy cutting tool that allows work to be cut together efficiently. I then exported it into iMovie where the rest of my footage was being held, and it fit in with the film very well. Below is the final cut of my production logo.


No comments:

Post a Comment